Attraction Type : Religious
Established in 1650 by Fatehpuri Begum, one of the wives of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, Fatehpuri Masjid stands in Chandni Chowk of old Delhi. This delightfully decorated mosque was later auctioned by the British to Lala Chunnamal, who received the responsibility of preserving the mosque. Asia’s largest spice market, Khari Baoli located in Chandni Chowk, also came into existence after Fatehpuri Masjid’s construction.
The architecture of the masjid is based on Mughal era styles. The mosque has been constructed employing red sandstone and features a dome adorned with architectural forms such as the kalash and mahapadma on its top. The masjid has been designed in a traditional manner and has tall minarets and the prayer hall that features seven-arched openings. The central arched opening is the highest among the seven. The three gates of the mosque make it easily accessible from the north, south and Red Fort side. The muslim festivals of Id-ul-Fitr and Id-ul-Zoha are celebrated at this Fatehpuri Masjid, with great interest and enthusiasm.